SENIORS AND SOCIAL MEDIA
Connecting Generations Through Technology
Building a strong, healthy community involves bridging the generation gap between seniors and young people. This program brings together elementary school students and Halton seniors to experience the benefits of intergenerational mentorship and social media.
The objective of the program is for Halton seniors to share their stories with local elementary school students. The students capture these moments on film and create a digital keepsake, which is presented to the seniors and community members at a special event and maintained on a password-protected website to facilitate sharing.
Fun for Everyone
Connecting Generations Through Technology spans approximately four weeks and includes:
- Program Overview from HIEC Staff
- Technology Training
- Sensitivity Training
- Interview with Seniors
- Final Video Presentation
The program is free for all participants and benefits all parties through:
- Increased online participation amongst seniors by providing them with knowledge and tools required to operate the password protected website
- Opportunity for Halton youth to hear stories from senior citizens and learn about the various life pathways they have experienced
- Creation of a more inclusive community where all generations can connect in a comfortable, web-based setting
- Teaching Halton youth and seniors about new forms of technology, specifically video production and social media
- Intergenerational mentorship by working together to teach each other about modern technology and life experiences
Seniors & Social Media was developed with support from Human Resources and Skills Development Canada’s New Horizons for Seniors Initiative, Halton Catholic District School Board, and Halton District School Board.